31 marathons is not his biggest achievement
Coach Rick Muhr has gotten thousands of runners across the finish line of marathons throughout the world. For 12 years, Rick was head coach for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s Team In Training program, preparing runners for marathons and raising $65M. We chat about the obstacles of a family history of drugs and alcohol and how helps other overcome on their way to the finish line.
Below is a summary of our interview:
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has – Margaret Mead
Coach tells us how his mother’s death propelled him to do his first marathon on a few days notice and the career of life changing coaching that followed
We go deeper in the sense of loss Rick felt when him mom died one day before her 58th birthday.
Coach Rick’s work
We chat about the story of a mother Coach Rick helped overcome emotional and physical hurdles.
What’s Exciting Coach Rick Now
Coach and I talk about managing the growth of the Marathon Coalition. We also touch on the tragedy of 2013 of the Boston Marathon.
Book Rick Recommends: Born to Run by Chris McDougall
Helpful Habit: Staying focused and living in the moment
Helpful Person: Iris Gleason, retired Executive Director of the Lymphoma Society
What’s His Purpose: To show other people that anybody can have significance in the world
How to follow Coach Rick
Facebook: Marathon Coalition Page
The true measure of a person’s character does not happen during times of comfort and convenience but during times of conflict and controversy – Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
When we find ourselves bog down, that is an opportunity to grow. That is an opportunity for all the abundance in our life to come to the front.
One More Thing
Below are some more personal running highlights for Coack Rick. If you would like a free runners workout, click the link below the highlights for fellow Purpose Rockstar Matt Johnson’s awesome premium video for his Runner Academy. You’ll also receive weekly updates on our latest guests and giveaways that are exclusive to Purpose Rockstar members.
Personal Running Highlights for Coach Rick Muhr
- Rick has completed 31 marathons spanning 5 decades and has qualified for Boston in each marathon.
- His marathon personal record is 2:33 which he ran in Chicago twice and the Rockford, Illinois marathon.
- 1983: Rick was ranked fifth in the country at 100K (62 miles).
- 2002: Running entirely on a track, Rick completed 50 miles in ten hours to raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society’s Man of the Year campaign (and he was chosen the 2002 Man of the Year).
- 2004: For the Run Across Massachusetts, Rick ran 165 miles in five days — from the New York border to the state house in Boston — to raise awareness and money for the Special Olympics.
- Rick was selected as a torch-bearer in the 2004 Olympic Torch Relay.
- 2006: Rick ran 62 miles on a track to raise funds for the Dr. Cynthia Lucero Latino Mental Health Program at the Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology.
Latest posts by Derrick Duplessy (see all)
- Exposing sexual violence in India with Meera Vijayann - February 25, 2016
- Overcoming FEAR: A 40 Day Experiment - February 23, 2016
- Consumer insight marketer journey with Lianne Wade - February 11, 2016